Cajun chicken and sausage is a great way to spice up your life. Make sure you have a glass of ice cold milk or water handy. This recipe really turns up the heat. If you aren't a fan of spicy foods, then eliminate the crushed red pepper and cut back on the cayenne. You won't be able to call it Cajun chicken anymore, but it'll still be pretty good.
This recipe calls for a slow cooker, but you can cook it for an hour or two in a pot, if need be.
Slow-Cooked Cajun Chicken & Sausage Recipe
Servings: 6 to 8 servings Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 6 to 8 hours
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 pound turkey sausage, cut into coins
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, cut into strips
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 red bell pepper and 1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
2 cups white rice
2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil, for cooking
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over Medium-High heat. Add the chicken to the skillet and lightly brown it on all sides.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and add the garlic and onions. Cook until the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add all of the ingredients except the white rice to a freezer bag.
- Seal the bag and place it into the freezer.
- Move the bag from the freezer to the fridge the night before you want to eat it to give it time to thaw.
- In the morning, set your slow cooker to Low heat and dump the contents of the bag into the slow cooker. Add the white rice to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 6 to 8 hours or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Slice the chicken into cubes or shred it before serving.