This penne pasta bake is a great freezer recipe because all you have to do is pull it out of the freezer and toss it in the oven and you have a meal ready in just over an hour. It does take a long time to cook, but the nice thing about it is all the work is already done. You just throw it in the oven, set the timer and wait until it goes off and dinner is ready.
Chicken Penne Pasta Bake Recipe
Servings: 4 to 6 servings per bake Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
3 chicken breasts
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 pound penne pasta
1/4 cup butter
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup flour
5 cups whole milk
2 cups shredded Provolone cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil, for cooking
- Boil the penne pasta until it starts to get soft. Drain the pasta and place it back into the pot.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet over Medium-High heat. Rub salt and pepper into the chicken and cook the chicken for a few minutes on each side. Slice the chicken into strips. and add it to the pot with the pasta.
- Add the butter to a separate pot over Medium heat and melt it. Add the flour, garlic, milk and mushrooms to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in half of the cheese and the chicken and pasta.
- Grease a couple baking tins.
- Divide the contents of the pot between the tins. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the bakes.
- Wrap the bakes in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil and place them into the fridge. Once they've cooled, transfer them to the freezer.
- To cook the bakes, preheat your oven to 400 F. Unwrap the bake and place it into the oven. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the bake is cooked all the way through.
- Serve warm.